Sunday, November 20, 2011

Flying Solo on Freedom Friday

How can there be a restaurant called "There's No Place Like Home", and I didn't know about it?!

This week, my husband was rehearsing a show and was unavailable for Freedom Friday. Oh, the horror! But I quickly rallied and recruited aforementioned awesome friend Jimmy to be Stan's Stan(d) In. He lives in Los Feliz, so we chose this place with the name I melt for, right around the corner from him. You can't miss "Home", as a huge red sign hangs over the outdoor patio seating area as you walk in, as if announcing to the neighborhood that you've arrived at the zenith of comfort and coziness. I almost expected Aunt Em to emerge from the kitchen to hand us our menus.

We sat inside on this chilly November day, and were greeted by our waitress, a good old gal who was so friendly and helpful we almost asked her to join us. She explained the highlights of the menu, and was very enthusiastic about her favorite items. She also joined Jimmy in a discussion of the best and worst wheat-free products available at Trader Joe's.

Jimmy got the red velvet pancakes, and I ordered the Eggwich, designed As You Like It. As I Liked It was with eggs scrambled fluffily, as-crisp-as-they-could-get-it turkey bacon, smothered with cheddar cheese, on grilled sourdough. This was one awesome Eggwich, accompanied by home fries- the kind with tiny perfect squares of red and green pepper and onion mixed in. Who invented breakfast? I'd like to kiss him.

Jimmy raved about his red velvet pancakes, but I didn't try a bite only because I am not a huge red velvet girl. It's just chocolate with red food coloring, right? But the red throws me off. I think I prefer taking my chocolate straight. And keeping it out of my pancakes.

Jimmy and I talked about everything under the sun, which always happens when we get together. We're very like-minded and seem to agree on most things of grand importance, from the key to world peace to the best and worst movies (perhaps we only disagree about red velvet). On this particular day, we were lamenting violence in film and TV. We agreed that many psychological dramas and creepy thrillers can be great fun... but both of us have trouble watching scenarios of blatant brutality towards human beings. I know for me, something changed when I had kids (I can hear the collective childless-adult groan now). But it's true; after Addie's birth, I was shocked to find myself walking out of the room early into a renting of "Pan's Labyrinth", because of a particularly brutal scene involving a father and son. This scene would certainly have bothered me before I had kids, but it is unwatchable now. It followed me into my dreams. I will replay the images over and over again. It's not worth the wrenching sadness it causes within me. Lots of people tell me I'd really enjoy "Dexter", but I haven't seen it because I'm afraid I won't sleep.

By contrast, I watched "Paranormal Activity" on Halloween. I was tense the whole time, but it was a fun tense... and I didn't dream about it, or even think about it, again. Supernatural and demonic, I can handle. Throw me an Exorcist or a Rosemary's Baby anytime. I love it. But I will never watch "Saw", any of its countless sequels. What good are these movies in the world? They only serve to give bad people innovative torture ideas. For the rest of the population, they're a way to watch horrific things happen to ordinary people. Who sits in a room and thinks of these things? What a waste of brain cells. I can't think of anyone I'd want to see tortured in this manner. Okay, maybe Katherine Heigl.

Funny that Jimmy and I were sitting in a restaurant called "There's No Place Like Home", talking about violence and death. Maybe we needed to provide a yang to the eatery's yin. Whatever the discussion, I always come away from Jimmy feeling a little closer to The Truth, whatever that is. Pity we can't spend a week at some culinary retreat. We could solve all the world's ills during our meals, and I'd never get fat because Jimmy's a nutritionist.

Next Friday, my hubby will be performing in Palm Springs and I'll be spending Black Friday with my two wonderful boys, eating leftovers and belching a lot. So stay tuned for the following Friday, when Freedom will be restored and Stan and I will be reunited to embark on yet another Los Angeles eating adventure.

Speaking of eating... Happy Turkey Day, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment