Friday, October 21, 2011

Son of Freedom Fridays

Last night as I settled into our cozy bed, I must admit I felt giddy anticipation of our imminent Freedom Friday #5. I knew we would be visiting Clementine, a little cafe in Century City that boasts the best scones, muffins, cakes and cookies this side of the Pacific. Those of you who know me know I am a sucker for scones, melt for muffins, and kvell for cakes and cookies. Basically anything bread-related makes my heart beat the faster. So I was all atwitter this morning when we returned from dropping off our boys at their respective schools. We hit the road at 9:15, hit a bit of traffic, but no matter; this was our time. Time spent laughing and holding hands and playing Punch Buggy and acting like we did before our daily dialogue became "Honey, did you pack the diaper bag?"

We didn't have anywhere important to be. We just had each other.

We arrived at Clementine a little after 10, and it's just the cutest little place! It's located on a side street, quaint and romantic, complete with sidewalk tables and a colorful array of customers. We had already agreed we were going to sample multiple things, and we brought our appetites. After asking the guy behind the counter what he'd recommend, we ordered: Stan, a mushroom/basil/three cheese scramble with a side of crisp bacon and a hot buttermilk biscuit. Me, a bacon and leek quiche and a blueberry sour cream coffee cake muffin (their specialty), accompanied by a caramel cappucino.

Heaven.

We lingered over our creations at our adorable wooden table, sharing everything. The best thing on our plates was the quiche, followed closely by the scramble. Both incredibly savory, decadent and dee-lish. Stan's buttermilk biscuit was also awesome, especially smothered with butter and raspberry jam. Truth be told, the least interesting thing we tasted was the muffin. It was mighty good, but apparently the LA Times raved about it, and we thought there were other things behind the counter that looked more my speed. Like the gingerbread cake. Thick and dark and amazing. Shoulda gotten that. Next time.

Bellies full and hearts soaring, we made our way back to the valley and stopped at Target. We went in for two things and came out with twenty... but it was bound to happen; our moods were too jovial (note to self: never shop Target when feeling celebratory). We bought Super Mario pajamas for both kids, a Sonic T-shirt for Addie, and a sweatshirt for Tucker that says "Save Ferris". He'll be clueless, but it'll make me happy. We bought Halloween candy and a spooky brownie kit for the kids. We mused about all the women who wear jeggings five sizes too small and then walk around hiking them up every five seconds.

We had a ball. We entered the elevator with our loot and rode in silence up to the second floor, where our car was. For a moment the elevator was silent, then I looked at Stan, smiled and said, "I love Target." The old woman standing in the elevator with us looked at me rapturously and said, "Isn't it WONDERFUL?!"

Then we went to get our boys. All in all, a perfect day. And a great kick-off to our ten-year wedding anniversary, which happens to be tomorrow.

Life is awfully sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I stopped by the Grilled Cheese truck this week! A bunch of lunch trucks come to LB on Wednesdays, but I've been too lazy to wait in the long line for a grilled cheese, but you inspired me! I had the waffle and fried chicken grilled cheese with sharp cheddar and maple syrup. Then I went into a food coma. :)

    ReplyDelete